Sunday, June 15, 2008

I'm a Grandma! (And Not Proud of Some Sectors of the Army, Right Now!)

On Monday, June 9th, my @#nd birthday, my daughter was down in El Paso, Tx being induced. We were all very excited that my granddaughter was going to be born on my birthday. Unfortunately for my daughter and son-in-law Matt, things didn't quite work out. After being in labor for 24 hours, they discovered that there were serious issues and took her in for an immediate c-section. Things were on the brink of going very wrong and thanks to my granddaughter planting her bottom in the right place, they are both doing ok. She arrived after dawn on June 10th, all 6lbs, 7 oz of her, at 17 1/2 inches long. She is said to have a full head of hair and her Mama's Asian eyes.
Bad news now! My daughter cannot drive for at least 2 wks and cannot carry anything due to the complications and surgery. Tomorrow morning, her husband is deploying to Korea. The Dr. who delivered the baby requested that he be allowed to stay another week to help out at home, which is allowed, and my son-in-law's NCO denied the request without hesitation. There is another group deploying the following Monday and it is acceptable policy that he be allowed to deploy at that time, but they didn't even consider it.
My new granddaughter has 3 scheduled Dr.'s appts. and is wrapped in a biliruben blanket 24/7. My daughter has a Dr. appt also. Her unit (and her friends) are currently in the field, which leaves her between a rock and a hard place. Tomorrow morning, she will pack the baby up in the car seat, wrapped in her biliruben blanket, and drive her husband to the airport at 4am. Then, she will drive back home again, against Dr.'s orders, and will carry the baby, in her seat, against Dr.'s orders, into the apt. (That is IF she can get out of the car by herself!)
Hello! Am I the only one who sees an issue with this? She just re-enlisted again, and will deploy with the baby back to Germany, while her husband will be serving in Korea for the next year, before he is allowed to join her in Germany. This is how the Army thanks their Combat Medics! (Both of them are!) I am now starting to believe the stories that I am hearing, how injured soldiers are being quickly dumped from the military so that they become the VAs problem. Only thing is, the VA is understaffed and unprepared to care for these horrific injuries that, in the past, would have killed these soldiers. I am hearing they wait forever to get care once they are dumped.
We ask our citizens to voluntarily join the Armed Forces, and when they do, we treat them this way? I am outraged! I am not naive about the jobs that my son-in-law and daughter signed up to do. I am also not naive about the policies that allow my son-in-law to remain home to care for his wife and child while, under Army Dr.'s orders, she is incapacitated. I am interested in hearing your comments!

2 comments:

Timothy W Higgins said...

Just remember, being a grandma (again) means that you are "old", even if you claim that others are older.

Congratulations, and I hope that daddy gets to hang around a bit longer.

kck_kat said...

Unfortunately, Daddy shipped out at 4am on Jordin's 6th day of life (well, almost 6 days old, since she was born around 7am!) He had a open window and they could have held him back for a week or two, but that didn't happen. He is now in Korea and in November, Mommy and Jordin ship out to Heidelberg, Germany, along with the puppy, where Daddy will join them in 12-15 months. As our Father always told us, "Who ever told you life was fair?" Not me!